...quiet, about a lot of things...

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Tidbits

The thing I want to say today...is we all have so much for which we should be thankful. The small everyday minutia of life, that often gets overlooked. Here's a couple of examples...

The first silly little thing is sucking through a straw. Yep, you read me right. This morning I was back to the dentist...yet again...to have them finish up some work...which by the way is done YEAH!!!!..They had to repair a filling that had loosened on my upper left. After the appointment I had a ripping headache..from no coffee..and too much nitrous...so off to Starbucks I went. Venti Iced Chai..All happy and numb, I proceeded back to the car, inserted my straw...and found I could not suck. Half of my sucker, as it was, was numb. Huh. So, I manually pressed my frozen lips together..and eureka!...and then experimented with using only the right side of my lips...felt very uncoordinated..but it worked. All to pucker up. All to suck a straw. Animals that can not suckle or swallow die. How nice to be able to live.

The second tiny body miracle was observed at my daughters soccer game over the weekend. She actually was in a tournament..but I only made one of the games. She plays in a competitive league (IE more intense, a lot more money)..She plays with 14-15 year old girls. By this time they have gotten pretty good..and pretty psychical. Lots of shoving and elbows and slide tackling. During the second half, a girl got tackled/tripped so hard and so quickly, she didn't even have time to get her hands out in front of her. Full speed face plant. It took a while for her to move.

Here comes the miracle. While waiting for the paramedic to check the injured girl out, I watched as Maggie, who plays striker(offensive)and her friend were keeping their ankles loose by rolling and pointing their toes. They would roll their ankles in, then out, then point their toes and stand on their cleats. All this while carrying on the secret conversations only teenage girls can have. I was memorized. I can do that with one ankle, but the other is pretty well frozen.

Everyday blessings, incredible fully functional bodies, and brains. Just the tidbits we overlook...but the things that matter most.

Today I will pay attention, and be thankful the next time I suck my straw.
posted by wendy at 12:13 PM

1 Comments:

The truth as I desperately needed to read it. Thank you for sharing this and for this reminder.

8/14/07, 7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home