...quiet, about a lot of things...

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Wedding Gifts and Wedding Woes

I good horsey gal pal of mine is getting married on Saturday. She just graduated this year from a liberal arts college in VA. She is all of 22.

People were shocked. We all know the groom very well. He's older..perhaps 32. Very nice guy. I was never shocked. When the mom and I were talking about it, she expressed the usual concerns and worries. Only natural.

I just said "The heart wants what the heart wants."

But...she would say. "But, nothing." I would say back.

The bride registered at the usual ho hum stores for her gift...and for the shower I was a good girl and bought her a cutting board and a cookbook. Very practical, just like her.

But I wanted to buy them something beautiful and frivolous for their wedding. So up to Boulder I went. Mecca to the beautiful and frivolous..with a bit of an altered twist.

Let me tell you, buying practical is much easier. Get the pc of paper. Read the pc of paper. Purchase one blender or humungo cheese grater. Done.

Instead I bought them art for their wall. It is a sculpture of sorts.

Two small blue-grey starlings, hand carved of wood. Sitting near, yet not to near, on a barbed while fence. It's about 2 feet long.

They are just sitting there, enjoying the view, avoiding the barbs, sharing this moment of their lives. Perfect.

In September, I am attending a totally different kind of wedding. These two are in their late 30's. Both never been married. Both work..in..war. OK, That is not fair.

My husband's cousin..a stunningly dashing ex Marine officer....works in guns. Gives me the creeps.

His soon to be wife, works in Washington as a procurement agent for some division of the service. You decide what she is procuring. I'm hoping it's hot coco and Graham crackers.

The wedding will be in..of course, TEXAS.

I think for them, I will buy a stapler, to keep my mouth shut. Perfect.
posted by wendy at 8:53 AM

4 Comments:

HAHAHA A stapler is the greatest idea ever! But it might be painful... duct tape?

7/25/07, 6:14 PM  

I do love weddings, but they're always so much more fun and full of celebration when you really like the people involved.

The art sounds very cool. Maybe you'll post a picture?

7/25/07, 9:19 PM  

You make me laugh. You do seem to have more than your fair share of soul-less people in your life!

7/28/07, 6:53 PM  

When there comes the matter of purchasing a gift I will only suggest CouponAlbum site.

9/26/07, 12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home