...quiet, about a lot of things...

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Poetry Thursday

The prompt this week was everyday sayings, used all the time. I wrote something about this a few weeks back...."On the Bus",... and "Back on the bus" in june archives. So its gonna be hard to be fresh. Each week, I sit down to write this poem, in the AM usually in my nighty with coffee and bed head. My muse is usually sitting somewhere near me,poking me in the back with his wand until I get the thing done. However, He must have left for vacation EARLY..having misread the memo I sent him RE: VACATION PLANS. So, I'm on my own here...

The first fresh thing that came to mind, isn't even my thought. This one is from Anne Lamott...in her book "Traveling Mercies...Some thoughts on Faith". Anne claims the best prayers she knows are "Help me, Help me, Help me and Thank you, Thank you, Thank you".

One thing I love about Anne's writing, is she never goes "high brow". While she is concerned with ton of weighty issues, she admits her prayers are domitated at times with the self. It's like the flight attendant tells you every time you fly. Your mask FIRST, then help others.

So with that in mind, no more delays...Happy Poetry Thursday to one and all!
Be sure to check out the goodies!


Head Master

It's true
that
I need
you
more than
i want
you

I can't
say
for sure
when
I knew
I was
lost.

It must
have
happened
when I
stopped
speaking
out

just
let you
read
my thoughts
instead.

my head
is
no place
for
you to
hang
your
hat.

"please
go" i try
to
form
it in
in secret

but find
no secret
safe
from you



wlf 7:58 am

Labels:

posted by wendy at 7:39 AM

14 Comments:

This is a wonderful poem. Your muse must be with mine!

6/29/06, 3:32 PM  

You did well! I really love Anne LaMott. Do you have Plan B? the sequel to Tender Mercies? She's a great writer.

6/29/06, 3:40 PM  

you have conveyed so much here.
beautiful.

6/29/06, 3:59 PM  

I like how everything is just ever so slightly off in this poem:

my head
is
no place
for
you to
hang
your
hat.

6/29/06, 4:58 PM  

Is this a scary poem, or am I off base? It makes me more and more uneasy, stanza by stanza. It makes me think of the frighteningly possessive type, maybe the evil doppelganger. Also, what an apt title...if my interpretation is correct.

Since your comment is "no-reply" I want to thank you here for the comment on my blog. My friend recently had her 4th brain surgery, and the results are almost indistiguishable from a severe stroke. Life is not fair is it? Thinking of your friend and mine...

6/29/06, 5:01 PM  

I love Anne Lamott. She is such an inspiration.

Great poem. Love how sparse and economical it looks on the page. Love the lines:

my head
is
no place
for
you to
hang
your
hat.

Very cool.

6/29/06, 8:00 PM  

Thanks all for reading this week

To Jim
I say..mostly everything is a little off with me...more than ever so slightly...but I'm guessing your being a gentleman here!

To Pepek and January
Anne L. ROCKS huh...i have almost all her work. She just had a pc in OPRAH mag....Her bird by bird inspires me to write, nearly every day these little shitty first drafts..

Jenclaire,
worry not, the evil is mostly of my own making...i write to my muse, often a long lost lover, or abandoner father type. but you're right...sometimes i feel menaced by their lurkings..imaginary or not

To Liz elayne,
I find your work so balanced and serene...thats for slogging it out in the mud and chaos of my blog world...much appreciated....

I'm honored to be in such good company!

6/29/06, 10:11 PM  

I'm going to have to read this several more times. It pulls me in and makes me think.

6/29/06, 11:28 PM  

LOVE IT!!! LOVE IT!!! LOVE IT!!! I want to write like that!!

6/29/06, 11:34 PM  

wonderful clear poem, Wendy.

6/30/06, 8:40 AM  

oh yes!

6/30/06, 8:44 AM  

This poem made me think of letting someone into the intimate details of your life too quickly and then wishing you could go back to the way it used to be. I've had this experience when I've tried to create an instant intimacy with someone, only to discover that she isn't the kind of person I want around.

7/2/06, 4:12 PM  

Outstanding! I read some of the other commenters' interpretations, and mine was so different! That's what I love about poetry--the way we use the words to fit our own needs (at least, that's what I generally do!). Beautiful work!

7/3/06, 8:05 AM  

I love the flow of this...

7/8/06, 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home