...quiet, about a lot of things...

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

These Are the Best of Times..Right?

So when the pics below were taken...the date was May27th 2007. My eldest daughter Rachel's 17th Birthday. Happy birthday!

I woke up that morning with a pain in my back. I thought I had pulled a muscle riding the day before. By the time my feet hit the floor..I knew that this was no muscle.

This was a kidney stone. I have had them before..so I am quite familiar with the hot poker-knife-stabby-hell-fire-pain...I was feeling in my lower back.

I called Michael, who was with Maggie in Glenwood Springs..at a soccer tournament...and told him he probably would fine me at the hospital upon his return..or at the morgue. When I am in pain I am quietly dramatic.

I ran a bath, popped some extra strength Motrin,took a muscle relaxer, and waited to die. I was lucky. I only had to pray for death for about a half an hour..and....

as suddenly as it was there...the wicked thorny beast called stone was gone POOF.

It's amazing, once the pain is gone..for a split second, you remember to be grateful for comfort..no pain, just breath and ease. Life smells sweet. Life is good...

So by 10:30 Rach and I were off to brunch...Then she joined me cross country at 3:00 to be my personal action photographer. She was treated to a round of Happy Birthdays from my adrenaline tipsy horse gal friends. She seemed to be having a great time. I thought all had gone well.

At least I was happy.......
posted by wendy at 8:22 AM

8 Comments:

Okay. So you THOUGHT all had gone well...you were happy...BUT--(or, until....)--

5/30/07, 9:55 AM  

Ouch! Kidney stones are the worst pain ever! (Please note: I've never give birth, so don't judge :-p)

5/30/07, 11:52 AM  

I am glad that you are feeling better.
I always have a day of complete gratefulness for no pain after a day with a migraine. To be pain free is a gift that we often take for granted.

5/30/07, 5:53 PM  

Oucchh! I've heard these are terrible. Glad you're feeling better.

5/30/07, 10:34 PM  

...but, just wait 'til your gall bladder attacks you....

6/1/07, 1:40 PM  

Hoo Boy. But, you see, with childbirth there are periods when the pain lets up between contractions. Here, it's just one long misery and woe, Motrin, and Aspirin.

With my last child I was going to be quietly dramatic, too. *shrugs* O, well. So much for That.

6/1/07, 1:48 PM  

I am so glad the stone went POOF!!! :)

6/1/07, 10:59 PM  

Did it go POOF??? Are you okay?

6/2/07, 9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home