...quiet, about a lot of things...

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Provisions for Sunday Scribblings

Early on, I took the kitchen, like a captain on her ship. I swaggered and mastered and ran tight. I would conquer marriage one pork chop, one baked ziti at a time. There is no other way to sail the sea of life, eyes on the horizon, still meeting every swell with speed.

But the far off shores never were obtained. Land was never in sight. After years at my post, I realized I was no captain, just a scullery maid at best. I was the only on green with sickness. I was chopping while others enjoyed the view.

I abandoned my post, and would have jumped the ship all together, if not for my fear of sharks and monsters in the water.

So instead I hid in a small little nook, surrounded by the bare essentials: a few books, a few pens,crusts of bread and the wrappers there of, waxy and crinkled.

It wasn't much, but at least I had the sun, and at night the starts plotted my course. They were the only recipe I would ever need now. Now I was no longer captain, but a stowaway.


Let's sneek a peek at what else is in the kitchen...here
posted by wendy at 9:02 AM

10 Comments:

Speaking as a fellow stowaway, I loved your enjoyable, creative take on the theme :) Well done!

3/25/07, 11:35 AM  

I find the seas are pretty stormy around my kitchen as well sometimes... I just wait it out and tie myself fast and hope for calmer waters ahead!
Hee hee- great post!

3/25/07, 1:14 PM  

I can totally relate. When I got married I figured that I had to be captain. After a few months my husband and I decided that we worked best in the kitchen as fellow explorers and no one in charge!

3/25/07, 1:39 PM  

That's the only way to achieve balance, I think. At least, it has been for me.

And you know, I would never have thought of that particular extended metaphor.

3/25/07, 2:12 PM  

From one stowaway to another, I appreciate your kitchen experiences!

3/25/07, 5:03 PM  

Wendy, as far as conquering the kitchen, I have missed the boat altogether! I enjoyed your sea-tale.

3/25/07, 6:19 PM  

Maybe writers don't like kitchens because they steal something from them - inspiration?
You write so well and so daringly from your gut instincts. :) Don't change.
(BTW I identify with what you are saying about The Kitchen!)

3/26/07, 4:39 AM  

Wendy, come see "As you think..." xo

3/27/07, 5:48 AM  

Wendy,
Neat!!!!
It's important to know when to change course. ;-)
rel

3/27/07, 10:47 AM  

LOVED it!!

3/27/07, 3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home