...quiet, about a lot of things...

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Poetry Thursday

Aftermath

The partridge
is left in
the tree

But the pears
are all gone.

Eaten in one
glutinous feast

Finished off
along with
the sugared plums
and candy canes sweets.

The floor is cold
and covered with
hard needles of
the pine tree
dying in my
house.

Opening the fridge
packed full
with the remains
of the daze

I stand still
after so much
frenzy

not knowing
what I am
hungry for.

In the distant
living room,
an ornament
drops to the ground.

wlf 1:40pm



More at Poetry Thursday

Labels:

posted by wendy at 1:34 PM

10 Comments:

Too much food and fun times. Great poem and so true.

The month leading up is filled with anticipation and then the day after comes. What to do.

Have a great weekend.

12/28/06, 2:42 PM  

I like the slender form of this...the ornament seems to be falling almost from the beginning.

12/28/06, 3:25 PM  

Yes, Virginia, Christmas is over...but there is a New Year (hopefully a good one) waiting in the wings, under all that snow grass is waiting.

My fridge is full of stuff that is finally drying up--old dressing and mashed potatoes, curling ends of ham and turkey, nothing that says: eat me. The chocolates are almost gone. Take a deep breath. Take another. Smile. There, don't you feel better? Happy 2007!

12/28/06, 7:18 PM  

How did you get into my house? You just described my so-called living space.

I, too, like the slender form. What a great poem to close out 2006.

12/28/06, 7:22 PM  

Love this - the falling ornament, and those oddly menacing needles.

12/28/06, 8:17 PM  

Made me smile. Funny at first, the lonely partridge and hungry floor (or maybe I just read that wrong) -but then oddly dissatisfied and lost at the end. Hard to know what to do in the denouement, after the peak has passed.

12/28/06, 9:21 PM  

Sure sounds like someone had fun...

Happy 2007

12/29/06, 12:43 AM  

i love the little twists and turns in this poem - and the aftermath feeling you describe is so familiar! That last line - it's a winner.

12/29/06, 3:53 AM  

i like this...
the aftermath of the season,
the pause after so much
buildup...
and what is left over.

great stuff!

12/29/06, 5:30 AM  

Happy New Year my friend!

1/2/07, 7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home