...quiet, about a lot of things...

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Heroic

I find this a hard prompt. I don't believe in heroes. I believe in effort. I believe in ordinary people forgetting themselves for moments, losing themselves in greatness. No one who is a hero, ever intended to be one. They just let IT happen. Then they go back to ordinary life, eating, sleeping and pooping like the rest of us.

I used to think of this blogspere as sort of heroic. So many people honestly sharing just moments, snippets of their lives. But then I read Neil's post yesterday..( I haven't been reading anything much...) and he talked about this site Trainwrecks..where they pick apart blogs as being too....They pick the "too"....too.....needy..self involved....stupid.....inane,...see what I mean "too anything".

(Just an aside here, I know Neil isn't a boy scout...he lets his penis talk for him, is very interested in getting laid, and seeing lots of girls boobs (I assume girls??).. and is a very human, needy guy(person)..just like the rest of us. I really like him for being boring some times and trying to figure out his marriage. He makes me laugh often...for he is very normal..thus capable of heroics I suppose..certainly open to the possibility..)

Neil took it like a man, when someone included a reference to his blog. I'm not so sure I could be so cavalier. I immediately took down my pic, and thought how lame I have been for posting my little thoughts of my little life. For the people that have visited here, surely, meant well, right??...They are just curious. People curious about people in general..seekers, right??...but I was wrong. As far as I know.. my little site hasn't been featured. But that's not the point at all. The point is that there are mean people amongst us. I am not a mean person...really not a mean bone in my body. I can be a bitch..and catty too...but I would not, or could not get off on ripping people apart..or making fun of others. I am not always kind. Sometimes I am not interested in what I read on blogs. But I consider that my bias..my preference. Not the particular bloggers problem.

This concept really rocked my little brain... and made me realize that while I don't believe in HEROES per Se, I do believe in villains. Where as heroics are fleeting moments of greatness..a state incapable of permanence..brief flirtations with the optimum, I do believe that evil impulses can consume you..really possess you.

Evil sucks you dry...kills the possibility. Evil is dead. By this I mean that evil does not breed life. It is not useful or fertile. It is stagnant and beyond stagnant, it is a parasite. I have always known that dark, is the absence of light. If you court the dark too long, can you even see the light?

So I suppose you must follow this logic... If villains do exist...than the opposite must also exist..the yin to their yang. What goes up must come down... There are an awful lot of villains living on this space we call blog. So I suppose there must be an equal quantity of heroes..but that seems far harder to believe. Does good always triumph over evil?..tip the scales? I fear not. Its always an equal battle.. a cats game...a draw.

I always assumed every ones intentions here in this "blogshere" to be.. no,not pure..but not evil either. I was wrong again. Boy, am I naive! I'm not sure I want to play this anymore.... but I'm sure I'll get over it. For now I'll be in the corner....licking the wound to my psyche.

I blame this all on Sunday Scribblings They started it!!
posted by wendy at 11:18 AM

11 Comments:

I really do care about those people whose blogs I read most everyday--not because I have way to much time on my hands--but because they are wonderful people and I have come to consider them as friends. What they say to ME when I read what they write DOES affect my life, and what I think about. I have been enriched by the association of so many people I know I'll never meet, but feel so grateful to have become acquainted with through this miracle of cyberspace...including you.uotfszv

11/19/06, 2:04 PM  

Uotfszv. Hm. That's Klingon for:
watch what yer doing, birdbrain. Or the first name of Borat's firstborn.

11/19/06, 2:07 PM  

I’m with Neil….don’t let them have your power!! I do like the people I read. I love hearing opinions, the same or differing from my own. But then again I enjoy human nature. Don’t let anyone; change the wonderful fiber of your being! It’s important to be true to yourself!! Excellent perspective though!

11/19/06, 2:45 PM  

As a regular reader of Neil's blog, I also thought he took it well! Interesting ideas you have in this piece about villians/heroes, yin/yang, good/bad ... I think there's alot of good, some bad, and an amazing amount of in-between. The true villians & heroes that rest at the opposite ends of the spectrum are probably few and far between ... interesting thoughts on a quiet Sunday afternoon! much peace, JP

11/19/06, 3:26 PM  

I'm with Neil - don't give credence to what a few mean-spirited people with too much time on their hands say or do. They don't know you or anything about you - so don't change your behaviour because of them. And in my post about heroes, I paid tribute to you!

11/19/06, 4:18 PM  

I read your blog because you write beautifully, have provocative thoughts, you make me laugh and sometimes you make me cry. Your blog is not only interesting, it is oftentimes thought-provoking and even educational. I was told once that blogs were a monument to a person's nacissism.....who knows if that is true. I read blogs because they interest me, I read blogs because I care about the individual and perhaps friendships will form. You know, the internet has allowed us to reach out to others in ways we couldn't before. Before all of this, I was a pen pal sort of gal, now I'm just doing it in a more technological way. I for one am thankful for my new blogsphere friends. And I am thankful for this blog and you. don't go away because of hurtful sites like the one you found. We would miss you!

11/19/06, 8:00 PM  

Oh. Oh, my. I wasn't calling you a birdbrain, wendy, friend of casper! I was calling Me a birdbrain for typing the word verification thingy in the comment box....uotfszw. But you KNEW that, didn't you?

And yes, the good outweighs the bad--Erin Monahan (of Poetic Acceptance) lost a baby to a congenital heart problem, and her blog ALONE raised 4,000 dollars for the North Carolina Heart Walk. That's good! Friends helping friends. And we're getting a scooter chair for another friend (in Florida!) who can't walk, is having huge insurance problems, and whose old chair broke. That's good, too! There may be people out there who are mean and dishonest and who've gone to the Dark Side...but I don't know any.

May the Force be with you!

11/19/06, 10:34 PM  

PS And put your picture back up!

11/19/06, 10:38 PM  

I hope no one intimidates you out of expressing yourself.

11/20/06, 7:45 AM  

I forget sometimes that there are nasty, mean people out there who need to bash other people for their own entertainment. I don't even want to check the mean blog. It would make me freeze up. I hope you'll keep writing and not let jerks stop you from expressing your thoughts.

11/20/06, 8:59 AM  

This is an awesome post, Wendy. I found you through Pepek and am so glad I did. I read Neil also and was surprised (in a good way) at how he handled his mention on that site.

Hope you don't mind if I become a regular reader here.

11/26/06, 9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home