...quiet, about a lot of things...

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Working Blue for poetry Thursday

I may have mentioned this before,but I used to be a photographer..I suppose I still am..but I used to spend hours in the dark room. I swore I'd never go digital. I hand pastel tinted split toned sepia prints. I obsessively looked and tweaked and looked some more. I lived for the right crop..psychological enclosure was my THING.

And then I was seduced by Adobe..oh you photoshop WHORE!! The whole world of manipulation opened it gaping jaws...and I fell in. So today I post two things. First, If i can upload it, a portrait I did just this week. It's a picture that's lived in my mind ever since my friend bought a palomino pony mustang for her (then 3 year old) daughter. I waited a long time for this shoot. My old business (photography) was called Gifts of Light. God gifted me with this chance to see this dream made real.

OK so I cant upload..so I'll add it to the sidebar...ugh

Next is my poem inspired by adobe photoshop....


Modern processing

In the dark room
I peer into shades of gray
and absolute black
to make sure I still
see detail in your shadows.

The highlights
should sparkle
but blown out
is lazy.
The art, to
put on film,
record on faith.
Shoot it right
in the camera.
Don't crop for reality,
capture the truth.
1/60th of a second
and a steady hand
are needed.

Those days are gone.
Now, I need only my
screen. I work with
lights on, in the
broad of day.

How surprising to
find so many
shades of blue
hidden in the pixels
of your eye.
Creation
reveals
an art editor
God.

wlf 10:30 pm

Find more Blue today at Poetry Thursday

Labels:

posted by wendy at 12:01 AM

12 Comments:

Interesting poem. I really like the last stanza, excellent.

9/7/06, 6:09 AM  

Great line about the shades of blue in her eye!

9/7/06, 7:25 AM  

I too love "so many shades of blue/hidden in the pixels of your eye."

Beautiful photo with the horse and flowers, too.

9/7/06, 10:26 AM  

Wonderful poem! The last stanza is magic! And I really like the photo of the child, horse and flowers.

9/7/06, 11:54 AM  

Terrific poem, and the ending is terrifically terrific!

Gosh, and being an old dark-room hack myself, I don't especially miss all the chemicals and such, and I do get nostalgic, too. But then again, the entire camera thing itself is nothing but a history of technological advancement. You still have to be that artist to coax material into being, that artist to see.

9/7/06, 1:32 PM  

This is such an interesting subject, so full of poetry. The idea of light, and shadow, and manipulation. Well done.

9/7/06, 5:09 PM  

Good job. Looks like we all love the blue pixels in the eye! Dylan Thomas once wrote a line about "a darkness in the weather of the eye," that I sort of accidently stole...but that's another story. This reminded me of that.

9/7/06, 6:35 PM  

Oh, I really loved this. Took me back to my childhood days hanging out in my dad's darkroom... I still miss the smells.

Anyhow, I found this poem worked for me on many levels, and the image is beautiful, too.

Peace,
Sasha

9/7/06, 9:14 PM  

Ah yes that last stanza is magical.

The pic is so lovely as well.
Wonderful to have dreams manifest.

Hugs

9/7/06, 9:51 PM  

Love it love it love it all! You are simply a stunner!

9/9/06, 11:07 PM  

Great poem! I especially like the last stanza. So much creation happens behind the lens of a camera.

9/10/06, 6:58 AM  

Very nice. Photoshop has made the world a different place for sure. Thanks for popping by my place.

9/10/06, 7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home