...quiet, about a lot of things...

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

What Turns a Rant....

Over the weekend I watched the HBO series "When the Levee's Broke". A special thanks to January of Poet Mom fame for urging all of us to watch.

I was left feeling all fired up. The next day I drove for an hour to a horse thing with my lovely REPUBLICAN, George Bush Supporter friend. We have very different political views. And like good Americans, we respect the freedom of this country. The freedom to disagree and still care deeply for one another.

I could not help but talk about what I had seen. She listened, asked questions, nodded. She's used to me being fired up. We waded thru this murky filthy subject. Pulling into our destination, she asked me what I was Personally willing to do to change the problem. The problem, we had decided, was the ever widening unwritten set of rights that separate the wealthy and poor in this country.

She asked me this as we pulled in to ride, our horses, our very expensive toys, in our Free Time, driving down Colorado's beautiful country roads. I am not rich. She is almost rich. But if you divided the country into have or have nots...we both HAVE.

I finally shut my mouth when she asked me what I was willing to do. I had to think about that. We tacked up our horses..and got on.

I finally said this...

"I watched this program with Mags....and talked about the problems. I watched the whole thing...even when it was hard too. My vote hasn't done much lately to guide my government. But I will keep voting. and I will keep having Republican friends like you. I love you..even though with Bush I seriously don't know WHAT you are thinking.
I will play devils advocate. and I'll be thankful of what I do have..and Never take all of this for granted."

This morning I'm still thinking about this. I'm getting dressed to go to my job..a job that pays so poorly that it almost feels like volunteer work. I'll work in the school with those kids that I will NOT LET be ignored, or as Bushie Boy would say, Left Behind. I'll get in the trenches, and in bed with the enemy, the plan that will not work. I'll help one kid at a time. and never take any of it for granted. I'll groom the future. One runny nose at a time.
posted by wendy at 7:35 AM

6 Comments:

I haven't seen the movie, don't have HBO, am still guarding my too emotional self from sadness. I agree that we can all do something to contribute to this world. It seems to me that if we do a thing with intention, with a plan to give back somehow, it is important. This country is so polarized, and it frightens and saddens me to see this happen. What ever happened to common ground? So glad you find that with your friend.

9/6/06, 8:59 AM  

I'm glad you saw the documentary. I think the biggest takeaway for me is that while life is coming back to New Orleans, not much has been done.

I still believe our voices count in office. So we have the opportunity this November to make a difference. And I'm trying to stay open to all possibilities of doing good locally.

Having friends with views other than yours keeps friendships alive, I think. I have a few Republican and Independent friends and we enjoy a heathly debate every now and then.

Great post.

9/6/06, 9:26 AM  

Haven't seen the documentary, but I saw an excerpt and an interview w/ Spike Lee. And your post is brilliant! Well done, you!At least your Republican friend will talk with you - although I've never met a single Bush supporter who can explain why they support him. Meanwhile, we have to do what we can - as you so eloquently said.

9/6/06, 3:00 PM  

It's easy to feel there is nothing you can do, but all we can do are small things that most likely will obly make a difference to a few. It still matters, though.

9/6/06, 4:36 PM  

It is wonderful that you are so committed to others. The world needs more people like you. We need people like you to be in politics!

There's a lot of blame to go around for the poverty in this country. While it is easy to blame the Bush Administration, Democrats have been in power many times since FDR, and have mostly aligned themselves with the rich and powerful themselves -- just different ones.

9/6/06, 5:48 PM  

I'm from Northwest Louisiana, so Hurricane Katrina happened literally in my backyard. I didn't watch the HBO special. I know too many people affected by Katrina...thankfully none of them personally, but most of them professionally (patients of mine or family members of patients etc). All I can say is that I appreciate you and your posts and I am glad there are people out there like you who care for others. I truly enjoy your blog. Thank you.

9/6/06, 8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home