...quiet, about a lot of things...

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Romance Starved

My previous post was about how I met my husband. It's a pretty cute story, made all the more romantic, cuz, well we've been married for 17 years.

I promise someday I'll write it all down. I just can't right now. I don't know why.Someday though, I promise.

I've been lucky to have some really "movie" romance moments in my life. I know that when I am 100 years old, I will remember them.

The most romantic was at the airport, saying goodbye to an old boyfriend. Remember when you could say goodbye at the gate? Yeah, how old am I!!!

Anyway, he disappeared down the jet way, in his Navy Whites..oh GOD..those yummy Dress Whites..leaving me sobbing in LAX.

For less than one moment...til he turned back...to find me sobbing..dropped his weekend bag..and stayed for one more night.

No; he didn't carry me thru the terminal, or but his hat on my head ala Debra Winger.. but he didn't have to.

Just being swept up in his arms...knowing he was swept away too..was unforgettable.

How bout you? Share your most romantic moment..Come on I showed you mine..now you HAVE to show me yours!
posted by wendy at 8:10 PM

8 Comments:

I'll have to think - there's been so many!!!! Kidding! I'll get back to you - it's a rain cheque.

7/9/08, 12:52 AM  

Oh, Geez. Could it be the time I had chickenpox (I was a Senior in HS) and had poxes EVERYWHERE--my hair was caked with several days applications of calamine lotion--and my sweet sailor boyfriend took my speckled face in his hands and kissed my head?

Naw...that couldn't be it....

Maybe it was when he sang The Twelfth of Never to me in the backseat of my daddy's Chevvie (after he had wanted to marry me and I wanted to run off to Hollywood and--well, you know. Anyway, I ran off and he married somebody else.

That couldn't be it, either. Well, let me think about it, too.

7/9/08, 6:45 PM  

I know. I'll tell you mine, sometime.

7/9/08, 6:47 PM  

Good post, btw. I could SEE it all, like a movie. You were Debra Winger and he was Richard Gear....

7/9/08, 6:53 PM  

A similar sort of moment for me, Wendy, but in reverse.

It was saying goodbye to a beautiful, loving, sexy American woman at an airport in Ohio.

It still hurts and I still think of her every day.

:-(

7/9/08, 9:12 PM  

Oh, mah gawd, I have the vapors. I felt like I was in a 1940s World War II film. That was swell.

7/10/08, 2:35 PM  

I was already married. He learned from a friend it was my birthday. He said, "I wished I'd been there on the day you were born."

I teased him, "You were four years old and living in Nebraska. What would you have done at a hospital in NY?"

"I'd have pressed my face against the nursery glass, pointed to your red head and called "Dibs! Save this one for me."

7/10/08, 7:17 PM  

From Meri:

We met at the opera. He accidently mixed dates and was struggling to convince the lady sitting a few seats further in my row that she was in his seat. He seemed like a confused Italian-looking English-speaking guy in a foreign country (which he was – a foreigner), and since I had an empty seat next to mine (because my mother refused to attend) I offered him the seat… During pauses we’d exchange our opinions and likings about opera… Next thing I know he offered to copy “Carmen” for me and gave me his phone number to call.
It took me over a month to make that call.
He was the Love of my Life.
Our love relationship did not make it in the long run. He is happily married and living in the States with his family. My status is the same, only in Europe.
I still think of him sometimes although 15 years have passed since that spaghetti dinner.

7/15/08, 11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home