...quiet, about a lot of things...

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Cold as a Witches Tit for poetry thursday

So, PT this week wants cliches. The title of the post just leaped at me as I left work today. Arctic frickin blast. Why did I leave California???

I'm betting all creative juice is frozen in my peripheral capillaries, but I'll make an attempt at a thaw.


Tales Told

Once, I was
a little girl.

A mother
superior
wore a habit
of stiff
and flawless
black.
With a halo
of white
like wings
from her
cheeks
and beads
surrounding
a crucifix
swaying as it
brushed where
her hips
or legs could be.

"When God closes a door
He opens a window."

Visioning so many doves
bursting free from
glass white panes,
I believed.
He will open a window.


Many prayers later
as that door
slammed shut,
I was prepared
to feel the rush
of wings.

There I waited,
for days,
until at last,
I smashed
the glass
myself.

wlf 7:32

Go to Poetry Thursday to read some more.

Labels:

posted by wendy at 7:13 PM

10 Comments:

Good story telling makes good poetry, nice job.

1/11/07, 10:34 PM  

"There I waited, for days,before at last, I smashed the glass myself." This gave me goosebumps. I recognize the feeling.

1/12/07, 8:47 AM  

Oh, this brings back memories- I always wondered if they had legs, too...
Wonderful...

1/12/07, 10:36 AM  

...and discovered it was you, all along, behind the glass, that YOU were the one with wings....

I posted a quote today from CHristopher Fry...about these "fabulous wings, unused, folded in the heart." I know that yours are unfolded. Or unfolding....

1/12/07, 1:34 PM  

PS Cold as a witch's tit! That's the way I always heard it. Dana's post said: Cold as a witch's heart. Hm. I like tit better, tho'. It must be a western, MOUNTAIN thing.

Snowed here again yesterday, so you'll probably see it today or tomorrow...again. C-O-L-D, too!

1/12/07, 1:40 PM  

I'm in CA and it's 20 degrees "colder than a witch's tit." LOL Nice job!

1/12/07, 2:39 PM  

Simply fabulous poem - I especially like the ending, when she took control of her own destiny.

1/12/07, 5:49 PM  

i like this,
i like this,
i like this.

it resonates within me.

1/13/07, 8:32 AM  

Great poem, with a fabulous ending.

1/13/07, 7:52 PM  

This is powerful. The images, the actions. Your inspiration most certainly thawed out.

1/15/07, 10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home