...quiet, about a lot of things...

Thursday, October 19, 2006

What we Avoid for poetry thursday

Goodbye Lynn. I enjoyed your poems and point of view. Mostly I enjoy PT....and will be thankful to you always for the idea and the work of giving us a small place to meet.

I stutter. Not so much now..but when I'm nervous. A lot when I was a kid. I was a wicked smart kid.. with tons to say...and a broken reed that filled my mouth.

Updated..Fri...trying for a new title including the line from the above set up description. Thanks for the feedback.


A Broken Reed

A broken reed filled my mouth.
Was God playing a trick?

For instead of naming me
Heather or Hildey or Helen,
He planted the seed of Wendy
deep inside my mothers dreams.
Dreams of toeheads
and pink fingers.
Five in a row,
two by two.

Even now, I pause to
breath, before I say my name.
Conscious everytime I voice
the answer aloud. People,
only have so much patience.
It's a simple question for
God Sakes!

So for God's
sake, I quell the panic.
I soothe the bile.
Breath in through my nose.
Poised, as if on
pointed
balanced
perfect
pink toes,
I utter

"Wendy."

I try for effortless.
I often twirl,afterwards.
a diversion of glitter
to break
the silence.

I listen
for applause.
The always willing
jester,telling
an inside joke
to God.

wlf 8:30am

More at Poetry Thursday

Labels:

posted by wendy at 8:13 AM

11 Comments:

Wendy..I love it, such a telling poem, thank you so much for sharing it, by the way I love the name Wendy, just makes me smile, but I am sure it difficult for a child "with a broken reed in her mouth" I also wanted to thank you for sharing thoes beautiful pictures..breathtaking..m

10/19/06, 9:19 AM  

But I LOVE the name Wendy! And, I wait every Thursday to see what you'll post. I am eager to see what you write. Thanks for the poem!

10/19/06, 10:43 AM  

Wendy makes me think of flying and that's a really, really good thing.

Love the inside jokes with God. Sadly lonely in a way and yet very hopeful.
THanks! (and thanks for the welcome)

10/19/06, 11:03 AM  

The lyrical word play of "pointed balanced perfect pink toes" is so appealing to me. Thank you for sharing this part of yourself! Like Pepek I always look forward to reading your stuff - and the part about the twirl afterwards feels so perfectly Wendy!

10/19/06, 2:21 PM  

Mm, well done. It may not be part of the poem but I also like the phrase "and a broken reed that filled my mouth".

10/19/06, 3:56 PM  

I like the broken reed also, but mostly I like the way the poem is personal but accessible, individual (the problem of the stutter) but universal (the fear we all have of being out there), and that you have made it so clear sounding--as though you were here, very carefully forming each word in a voice the grows stronger with each stanza and ending with a silent, small smile.

10/19/06, 4:36 PM  

I really like the two closing stanzas especially, the movement, the unsettling, playful close. Yes.

10/19/06, 4:51 PM  

Such a great poem. I love the langugae, your words, and the way you set it up, how it flows down the page. Awesome!

10/19/06, 7:43 PM  

I often twirl,afterwards.

That's my favourite Wendy line at the moment - to be replaced by another soon no doubt!

10/19/06, 9:57 PM  

ahhhhhhhh...
this i love.

so telling,
so honest.

its like a story in a poem,
and i like when things are like that.

10/20/06, 6:39 AM  

Excellent poem, on so many levels. Well done, you!

10/21/06, 1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home