...quiet, about a lot of things...

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I Never Would Write

My daughter, Rach, brought home a morbid homework assignment for me. As part of their Prom Prep, her Junior class is sponsoring a SADD Week (Students Against Drunk Driving). She has been picked as one of the students "removed" from class to symbolize the deaths of teens from alcohol related absences. Someone dressed as the reaper..will come and take her. They then, will read her Eulogy...This is part of the letter I received regarding her participation:

"Dear Soon to be deceased,

We would like your eulogy to be written by a family member or close friend.

Some things the eulogy should include are:
...Cause of Death
...Surviving Relatives
...Lifetime Achievements
...Hobbies and Extracurricular activities
...Dreams and Goals hopes for after High School

This is the bare minimum. They should make it as if they are really writing your Eulogy"


Rachel believes in this program. She wants me to do this for her. I'm having a really hard time with it. Beyond superstition. It sends chills down my spine. I have stared at the paper for a week.

I promised her. This is some type of strange torture.

I hope it at least touches someone...makes one person think.
posted by wendy at 9:23 PM

7 Comments:

oh. my. land.

this is almost
unspeakably hard.
i had no idea that they
did this sort of thing...
i understand the meaning behind
it, the gravity, the seriousness,
but wow.
what a lot to ask of someone.

i honestly don't know
what i would do...
and especially when it is
for such a good cause,
and one i fully support,
having lost my best friend
to a drunk driver long ago
(but still feeling the sadness)

wow.
i don't envy you this task.

4/11/07, 6:33 AM  

Wow, that's an awful lot to ask! I understand that they're hoping for impact, but I wonder if they realize how hard it is on the parents!

4/11/07, 8:15 AM  

The schools here do this exercise too. I can't imagine being a parent of one of the participants. The way they do it is very realistic, including notifying parents as if it had really happened. I've heard it's very effective with kids, that it makes them really understand the consequences of drinking and driving.

4/11/07, 8:41 AM  

This hurts...

4/11/07, 10:25 AM  

Wow, that is really heavy. I can't even imagine what it would be like to try and write a eulogy for a child. I know if I was still a kid at school, something like that would have had a big impact on me; I can see why they're doing it. But woah. I can see how hard it would be.

4/12/07, 7:57 AM  

It hurts me to read this and I can only imagine what "strange torture" it is for you.

4/13/07, 8:45 AM  

I'm not sure if I would have wanted to do it.

Can't they use a lifesize-doll or something to simulate it?

This way too strange to ask of you to write something like that for your kid.

4/14/07, 7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home