...quiet, about a lot of things...

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

A Horse is a Horse, but a Pony.....

I collect old books. Drives Michael CRAZY. These aren't fancy first additions. Usually, they are just campy old novels. Kinda a Nancy Drew fetish, I suppose.





Women call "horses" ponies. Well, fun unpretentious women call their horses ponies. The really snooty ones call them "warmbloods," or "foundation Thoroughbreds". But to me, all horses are ponies.

The classic definition of a pony is a horse under 14'2 hands high. The definition of a "hand" is four inches. This is measured from the bottom of the hoof to the top of the wither. The definition of wither is...um base of neck, top of shoulder (sorta). OK, so by definition, a pony is 4' 9 11/12"tall at the shoulder. Any taller, and lo and behold, you have a horse. Yes there are people who measure the ponies and record the finding. Anyway, I am 5 feet tall so a pony to me, is anything I can see over. Not as exact, but my method of choice.

I have never owned a true pony. I ridden quite a few naughty one's for parents. This works like: Pony takes off with kid, bucks kid off or stops at the jumps and dumps the kid on the jump or near the jump. Parents look for a small adult to "school" the rogue beast. A better rider than the kid is a must..but not to finesse -y. Ponies know exactly who is on their backs. Put a trainer on them and they straighten right up and sprout angel wings. A small amateur crash dummy is needed. Enter Wendy.

I have fallen off my share of quick devil ponies. But I hope I have left each one a better mount for their children. So, all my horses will always be ponies.

Hence, with all this in mind, take a look at the beast I rode in Texas..17.3 hands high. That's 5'11" at the wither. That's one big dude!!!But he's still just a pony...a VERRRY tall pony.



Notice, that where my legs hit his sides, makes me look 7 years old...maybe 8, max.


posted by wendy at 6:26 PM

7 Comments:

I'm 5' 1 1/2 inches ... hey! You look great on that horse! I can tell it's no kid up there.

BTW you were asking about the petrified forest - here's a link

2/20/07, 9:40 PM  

He's so handsome and you're his Grrrl! Love these photos of "Wendy and her Pony."

2/21/07, 10:04 AM  

That is a byoo-tiful horse!

2/21/07, 2:38 PM  

A small, amateur crash dummy? I think not. Beautiful you, beautiful horse!

2/21/07, 4:31 PM  

I know absolutely nothing about horses, they scare me to death, but that is one beautiful animal.

2/21/07, 10:15 PM  

Gorgeous horse and I love those old books too!

2/22/07, 8:28 AM  

WOWieeeEEEE! Wendy! Isn't HE beauty Full? Lucky YOU! You must feel on top of the world riding these beautiful creatures! He looks pretty content too! to have YOU leading him! xo,Cinda ps.Here's a lil poem that came to mind looking at your pic with that sweet horse pony! "Spirit Dance" Sharing moments, It looks like a Natural High! Prancing and Dancing!Him Prancing and your heart Dancing! Cro

2/24/07, 8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home