...quiet, about a lot of things...

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Departure

My mother in law, Helen, left today. I am slumped in exhaustion. While slipping away to write a few thoughts...she caught me.(the lap top is in the Guest room.....)I explained a little bit of my activity here. I write. Like a diary. only different. I knew better than to say poetry. Poetry would have arched an eyebrow. Diary was better.

"Any thing to keep busy, dear." Helen responded. And for a half moment I almost wished it were an affair instead. A big huge HAIRY SWEATY TORRID ON LINE AFFAIR....with a lurking someone...male or female...UNKNOWN..all the better to SHOCK her with.

But no, she looked at me as a little girl, cutting out strings of paper dolls. Or making Christmas construction paper links, in August. In short, wasting my time with the frivolous.

Like the guilty school girl I am, I closed my laptop quietly, put my toys away..and went back to work...being a good hostess.
posted by wendy at 3:17 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home