...quiet, about a lot of things...

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Sunday Scribblings

This weeks topic...My 2 Cents....here goes

CAKE

I've always found this fact strange. Some things are easy for some people...and very hard for others.and visa versa. I tend to hang around mostly with women who are very good at things, so good they appear easy, non chalant, effortless. Most of my true friends are very good at riding horses. It sounds odd, putting it that way. But there it is. They elevate equitation(the riding of one's horse) to an art form. They have good work ethic, but honestly, their talent trumps their sweat at this point.
Even if it is hard..they make it look like cake.

I am more the worker bee,and maybe, wanna be equestrianne. That is to say, I DONT make it look easy....I work at it and break a sweat. I've grown comfortable with my place in my barn wold. I am regarded as a good horse woman, not a greatly talented one.

Which is why when the tables turn,(as they sometimes do) it feels down right ODD.

A young friend of mine, is getting married next summer. "Leigh" is an amazing rider. Bold,brave, balanced and beautiful...She is all of 22 and maybe 100 lbs. I've seen her take jumps on her horse, that would make a grown man cry. She is the picture of confidence and poise. I've never seen her sweat. Until now.

She needs help planning some details of her wedding. Leigh and I have been barn friends for a couple of years..and never once has she asked for advice, because frankly, she knows more than I do, even though I'm almost twice her age. I ask HER for advice..so I was a little taken aback when she asked if I would help her with some "fashion decisions". In an odd way, I was flattered too.

So today, off we went to the bridal store...Friend Leigh, Friend Cora and her daughter and soon to be flower girl, Sarah, in tow. Walking through those glass front doors, the world seemed to turn on its head. Cora and Leigh are two of the most GO GET EM girl types I know. But faced with row afer row of gowns and veils and shoes(oh my), I saw fear in their eyes!!! and Sarah...well Sarah just stayed close to her mom..as if she would get lost or eaten by the racks of silk and chiffon.

I found my self guiding the party through the maze of possibilies...Sarah being a champ, trying on anything I offered to her. She had to try dresses way too small..or way to big..held in place with clamps. She would emerge from the curtained room, mom Cora and Leigh behind her.

"Well..." I would say each time..."spin, so I can take a look." She would, holding her arm out from her sides like a porcelian doll.

"What do ya think" I would say..to the three standing frozen before me.

"WHAT DO YOU THINK?" was always the response.

I took a breath, went ahead and took the lead this time...a little slowly at first...more boldly as the day went on. I was balanced and fearless as I helped whittle it down to 2 dresses. I asked Sarah(flower girl) what she thought. She said she couldn't decide. She asked me for my favorite. I told her. A smile came across her amazing face.

"That was my favorite too!" she said..relief showing in her eyes
"Mine too" Cora echoed...
"Mine three" the bride sighed..and all was done but the ordering.

On the way home...Leigh said thank you...numerous times. It felt really good to say
"You're welcome...it was a piece of cake!!!!.....Hey, speaking of cake, have you thought about....???"


This was my 2 cents... to see some more go to SUNDAY SCRIBBLING!
posted by wendy at 10:37 PM

9 Comments:

What a great story! Everyone has his or her own unique talent - thank goodness we're not all the same and can help each other. Lovely post.

7/30/06, 2:41 AM  

Whether we have to work hard at something, or if it comes easy, we are all in this thing (life) together. It is great that you could help others in their difficult decisions, and help make it easy for them.

7/30/06, 5:52 AM  

2 cents....valuable!
Nice post.

7/30/06, 7:57 AM  

You made me smile. Very well written.

But my father was actually eaten alive by a chiffon nightdress, so that metaphor left a sour taste in my mouth.

;-)

7/30/06, 9:29 AM  

I enjoyed this piece. It is always nice to be able to help someone. Sometimes you can go through your days thinking that you don't contribute much, and then a day like the one you described pops up to reaffirm your usefulness.

7/30/06, 10:27 AM  

I think it's wonderful that you were able to help someone who so often seems to have it "all together"...usually everyone has strengths AND weaknesses. Sometimes we need to see that and be reminded of that. :)

7/30/06, 11:05 AM  

Most of the 22 year olds I know wouldn't dream of consulting me (in my fifties) on fashion! But it's great that you were able to help. Weddings can be pretty overwhelming.

7/31/06, 1:34 AM  

That is such a lovely story.
It's something I can identify with at the mo as our son prepares to get married and my future d-in-l consults me for stuff - but she's making her own dress - and the three bridesmaid's dresses as well!!! What a woman!

8/1/06, 3:56 AM  

I loved this! It reminds me of so much...mostly that I recently decided to be brave and give up wanting to be good at everything. I am looking for a hobby that I can enjoy being mediocre at. I'm a mediocre gardener, but I'm always trying to get better. I think I might take a pottery class and allow myself to fail miserably and still enjoy it (I'm not very artistic!). Great post!

8/2/06, 9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home