...quiet, about a lot of things...

Monday, November 05, 2007

Oh, the Places He Goes

My husband travel A LOT. Constantly. Today he is in Alaska...of all places. As he heads back to Denver, I leave for Birmingham Alabama. We pass each other in the air. Then by the time I arrive back, he is gone to San Francisco.

And so it goes. And so it goes. This morning I am wondering why I miss him more, when he is gone to a place I have never been. I have never been to Alaska. I believe this is his first trip there too.

To a husband who could be on Mars,
but swears he's in Alaska


You lift your bag
and your attache
in the same way
you always have.

Kiss me sideways,not
quite meeting my eyes.
You are always quick
in leaving. Lingering

does nothing but
punish us both.
You are a seasoned
traveler. I am well

schooled in the fine
art of departure.
The truth is: we both
know it is so,I am

better on my own.
Left to my own demise.
You are a sailor and
I am your port.

Why is it only when
I have never been to
where you travel, that
I fear the edge of

the world is near?

wlf 10:00am
posted by wendy at 9:50 AM

8 Comments:

Excellently said! Sailor and port. But then, you are leaving, too! ...

11/5/07, 10:53 AM  

Oh, I have been wondering how you are getting on with the old ladies in your poetry group...I hope they appreciate you for the great writer you are!

11/5/07, 10:56 AM  

wow...i think this one of your best
ones yet,
if you don't mind my saying so.
i loved this one.
seasoned traveler/fine art of
departure
sailor/port
so much about this one that i love!
:)

11/5/07, 11:54 AM  

Wow Wendy! THAT is perfection in short lines.
I mean it! It's a great poem. Perfect.

11/5/07, 7:28 PM  

I can't put my finger on exactly why, but this reminds me of Donne's Valediction Forbidding Morning - love it!

11/5/07, 9:49 PM  

Yes, perfection in short lines. This is a great poem. Full of meaning, not one word outof place!

11/6/07, 12:23 PM  

ooooh...wendy, this was great!!!!

11/6/07, 1:23 PM  

You inspired me to write a poem on the same topic. Check it out.

11/7/07, 1:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home